The number of people taking part in dance classes world wide is increasing, with dance allowing people to be more active, socialise within local communities and develop creative skills.
There are numerous benefits to partaking in dance classes ranging from increasing your amount of daily exercise to making new friends with shared interests. In the European Union the weekly exercise targets for children are currently set at a minimum of 1 hour per day for children and at least 30 minutes, five times a week, for adults. Although these targets may look daunting at first, they can easily be met by attending dance classes. Some of the benefits to increasing the amount of exercise you do are; reduced stress levels, improved relaxation, stronger bones and muscles and help to control body weight.
Dance also offers an activity for people who may not consider themselves as ‘sporty’. The benefit of dance is not only that of increased exercise, but the participation in an art form, which is routed in technique, and giving the opportunity for a creative outlet.
Dance can also open new opportunities in terms of careers. The entertainment industry is vast, employing an estimated 30,000 in dance related roles in the UK alone. There are numerous professions in dance from dancing, teaching, choreography or dance notation. In addition to this, people work in the dance industry as; community dance practitioners, promoters, producers, designers, publicists, technicians, physiotherapists, medical and alternative practitioners, therapists, writers and academics.
The skills developed in dance can also be valuable transferable skills that can be applied to any career path. The confidence gained through achievements in dance helps to build social skills, increase self esteem and the ability to communicate well in a group. These skills once built up through partaking in dance can lead to a variety of career routes.
Taking the first step can be the hardest, but by using this site to find qualified teachers, you can be assured of high quality of training.
Ten reasons to participate
- Dance keeps both the body and the brain active, vital for people of every age
- Dance offers a way to improve strength and flexibility, which helps keeps muscles and joints healthy
- Choosing to start a new hobby can help you meet new people and make friends with people who have similar interests
- Dance helps you learn about your body, improving your posture and balance
- Taking time out in the day to partake in a hobby can help to reduce stress levels
- Dance can offer insight into other cultures, either through the dance style itself or meeting new people
- Dance can led to new career opportunities, or help build vital communications skills needed in every profession
- Participating in dance can help increase your self esteem and confidence through mastering new skills
- Dance offers a creative outlet for people to express their personalities in a safe environment
- Dance is a fun way open up new possibilities, keep healthy and enjoy yourself